The AEM Nexus 1000 is the first AEM Electrolyser of the megawatt class. A ≈ 1 MW containerised electrolyser largely pre-assembled for fast commissioning featuring 420 AEM stack modules around a common balance of plant (BoP).
In December 2023 our partner enapter and us were able to introduce the new NEXUS 1000 and install it at Bioenergiepark in Saerbeck, Germany. The containerised large-scale AEM Electrolyser was delivered to siz energieplus’s MW-sized multi-purpose research project and installed onsite.
Here are a few specs & facts about the AEM Nexus 1000:
• 𝗛𝟮 𝗼𝘂𝘁𝗽𝘂𝘁: 450kg/24h, up to 35barg, 99.999% with optional dryer
• 𝗛𝗶𝗴𝗵 𝗼𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝗮𝗹 𝗳𝗹𝗲𝘅𝗶𝗯𝗶𝗹𝗶𝘁𝘆: 3-100% of nominal H2 flow rate
• 𝗖𝗼𝘀𝘁-𝗲𝗳𝗳𝗶𝗰𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗰𝘆 due to AEM Stack modularity and little to no expensive materials like titanium, platinum and iridium
• 𝗥𝗮𝗽𝗶𝗱 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 times to variable renewables
• High degree of 𝗿𝗲𝗱𝘂𝗻𝗱𝗮𝗻𝗰𝘆 due to modular design (420 AEM Stacks)
The AEM Nexus’s system architecture leverages the advantages of standardised and modular AEM Stacks. Moreover, it allows for industry-proven and widely available system components to be used.
Furthermore, the modular approach results in a more reliable and robust system. For example, if one stack module fails, only a fraction of the production is stopped. Then the affected stacks can be replaced quickly and easily. In contrast, a stack defect in a traditional proton exchange membrane (PEM) or alkaline electrolyser can lead to significant downtime of the entire system.
The advantages of the AEM technology combined with this innovative approach result in a megawatt-scale electrolyser comparable to alkaline systems in price and PEM systems in footprint, hydrogen quality and reaction time.